Jonathan Gräßer

European Battery Alliance - Involvement of InnoEnergy Students?

Discussion created by Jonathan Gräßer Partner on 12-Mar-2018

Three Weeks ago I came across news about the ominous European battery Alliance in  my LinkedIn feed shared by Maroš Šefčovič, the European vice president for the energy union: 

Speech by Vice-President for Energy Union Maroš Šefčovič  

In the speech was also Innoenergy CEO Diego Pavía mentioned as a speaker at the panel.

From a press release on the page (see attachment) it seems like InnoEnergy is a big facilitator in the making of the European Battery Alliance - which is really cool! 

I'm wondering if anyone here as more insight into the talks and developments of this matter? Especially about the proposals Maroš Šefčovič was talking about. Maybe there are possibilities for interested InnoEnergy students to take part? 

This is going to be big, with the involvement of all these companies who have a need or interest in batteries and the support by the European government!  

Besides all the interesting technical aspects of the production of batteries which i really like, the point of being sustainable and responsible is very important - otherwise, the produced cells would only be more expensive than those from China. I think there is a need to implement some kind "Carbon Tax " for batteries in order that the European cells are competitive against imports. I would be very interested to hear I anything has been talked about. I would think that the leaders of the new battery manufacturing plants (Northvolt, TerraE etc.) are very aware of this. 

As I'm going to Uppsala for my second year, I'll, of course, try to get in contact with Northvolt for my thesis.