AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple thermal modeling of households in Germany

Question asked by Damiano Fraizzoli Partner on 23-Jul-2017
Latest reply on 01-Aug-2017 by Damiano Fraizzoli

Hello, everyone!

I am Damiano and I am doing my thesis about the flexibility of demand at the distribution level. In particular, I am developing a methodology to benchmark the maximum flexibility that can be provided in the residential area.

To do so, I am using an optimisation routine that provides the optimal schedule for the operation of the flexible devices considering constraints given by the DSO.

# What I am trying to do 

In order to include thermostatically controlled loads in the study (such as houses with AC or heat pumps), I'd use a simple linear model with concentrated parameters for households to put into the optimisation routine with the other models for different loads. 

These parameters are the internal and external temperature (averages not profiles), thermal capacity, and a thermal resistance. The objective function minimises the difference of temperature between the actual internal T and the desired T, while matching other constraints coming from the grid.

# Desired inputs

I'm asking here, as I think there are many people that can give me super interesting insights into:

a) the practical limits of such a model in terms of the actual comfort of the residents or other limits for the applicability of this approach to buildings. I am looking for the simplest but sensible model possible, for reasons related to time and computational resources.

b) reasonable assumptions of said parameters (T_external, T_desired, Thermal capacity, Thermal resistance). In particular, I'm taking Germany as a reference so if you can refer to that it would be super useful.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this

Best regards

Damiano

Contacts:

here or damiano.fraizzoli@gmail.com

Outcomes