Once again, the small but close-knit community here in Karlsruhe gathered on 16th May 2018 at the Innoenergy Office. The agenda of the day was to share stories from ENTECHs with ENTECHs. The day started with welcoming session and a brief description of CommUnity given by Volkan Işık (Local CommUnity Manager Karlsruhe). After the welcoming session, two second-year ENTECH students (Lena Christ and Zaheer Ahamed) and two ENTECH Alumni (Krishna Reddy and Volkan Işık) took some time off their busy schedules and narrated their own stories of how they have landed a master thesis position, and what was the process they have been through during and before the thesis. Although each one of the four speakers had a unique experience, they were quite similar in many ways. While talking about their experiences, they have all referred to the so-called U- Theory, which describes the stages a person moves through when undertaking something completely new. They have mentioned how important it is to jump in with an open mind, open heart and an open will in order to persevere through the entire phase of searching for a thesis and successfully completing it. It was apparent that the process is not easy but is one which is definitely possible to navigate with appropriate guidance.
The first year students in Karlsruhe are already halfway through their 2nd semester and will soon move on to their second year universities. What better time than this to get some helpful guideline on how to find the right research position for oneself? Here are the key takeaways from the unique experiences that were shared:
- There are many possible places to look for a master thesis. There are many companies (including Startups) mentioned on the InnoEnergy and Climate KIC websites. Many open positions are advertised on the InnoEnergy Career Center. Even if nothing can be seen currently on offer, it is possible to make unsolicited applications. You should also consider visiting events such as local Career Fair, InterSolar (Munich, June 20-22), EUW (Vienna, Nov 6-8) and the like. There are also many thesis options available at Research Institutes that operate under a university or are independent.
- It is important to realize that there are several types of thesis (technical, business-oriented, policy, economics, etc.). You can choose what type of master thesis you want to have according to your interests.
- Each university has a different deadline for registering the thesis and for submission. Keep track of the deadlines in order to handle all bureaucracies smoothly.
- It is often the case that people find a master thesis position at different times. Some people find master thesis positions before others. That is exactly when peer pressure creeps in. In this situation, it is important to keep calm and not to panic.
- Always choose a field that you are genuinely interested in, otherwise, it is going to be difficult to work in it.
- Ask for help whenever you need it. Someone will always reach out.
- Most importantly, wherever you end up moving to, don’t forget to enjoy your stay!
You can see some photos from the event by clicking here.