Friday, 1 December 2017 at CCIB - Centre de Convencions Internacional de Barcelona
Starts at 20:00 · Ends at 21:00, CEST (Europe/Berlin)
Boosting the challenges!
InnoEnergy Master Thesis Awards 17
Community days, Graduation Ceremony, Barcelona 1st Dec 2017
In order to stimulate innovation and entrepreneurship among future game changers, the InnoEnergy Master’s School awards annual prizes for the best master’s thesis in several categories.
The challenges are big, but InnoEnergy goal is simple: to achieve a sustainable energy future for Europe. Innovation is the solution. New ideas, products and services that make a real difference, new businesses and new people to deliver them to market.
Our mission is to build a sustainable long-lasting operational framework amongst the three actors of the knowledge triangle in the energy sector: industry, research and higher education, and ensure that this integration of the three is more efficient and has a higher impact on innovation (talent, technology, companies) than the three standing alone.
This framework led the InnoEnergy Master’s School to award the best contributions of our students to a sustainable energy future taking into account the potential impact in the three pillars of sustainability: economy, environment and society, also in the integration of the three vertex of the knowledge triangle.
Who can apply____________________________________________________________
This award is open to all the graduates of the InnoEnergy Master’s School that have completed their master thesis in 2017.
- End JUNE - Launch of the competition
- SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER - 2 webinars to help you improve your submission
- Pitching skills
- Data visualisation
- 29 OCTOBER - Deadline to submit the documents
- Mid NOVEMBER - Communication with the finalists
- 1st DECEMBER - Graduation ceremony
How to apply?____________________________________________________________
As a last step you will be asked to complete this form with your personal details, the category you want to apply for and a link to the documents that you submitted.
Only complete submissions (3 documents + completed form) will be taken into consideration. The participant is responsible to supply all necessary documentation.
- Economy: "going to the market"
We are looking for the best contributions in the concept of "go to the market" of new products or services; also in the cooperation of our students with our ventures or our students creating a new venture by themselves. Examples of this kind of master thesis can be:
- The master thesis is done in a company and contributes to speed up the commercialization of a new or improved product.
- The topic and the solutions proposed in the master thesis are appealing of a company's mentorship.
- The thesis proposes a low-cost innovation, cheap and easy to be implemented.
- Environment: "reducing GHG emissions"
We are looking for the best contributions to the objective of the SET plan to accelerate the development and deployment of cost-effective low carbon technologies. Therefore, we will award the master thesis which has the highest impact/potential to decarbonize the EU energy sector and thus combating climate change in a cost-effective way.
- Society: "facing energy poverty"
Aligned with the UN Sustainable Goal number 7, ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, we are looking for the best contributions focusing on the universal access to modern energy services; that is thesis having a noticeable impact/potential in increasing accessibility and affordability of modern energy services or/and in energy poverty alleviation.
Besides evaluating for how well the submissions fit with the topic of each category, we look at the scientific/technical quality and entrepreneurial value. We also look for students having very good communication skills. Thus, the submissions will be evaluated on the basis of the following independent criteria:
- How the thesis work fits with the topic of each category.
- Problem statement
- Review of the state-of-the-art
- Key innovation/methodology
- Interpretation of the solution/results
- Quantification of the expected impact (energy savings, reliability/safety, …)
- Conclusions/ Future challenges
- Industry/Stakeholder involvement
- Business case
- Market potential
- Disruptive impact
- Game changer attitude
- Support material, s.a.: presentation, poster, or prototype.
- Communication skills
- Time management
- Quality of image/sound
- Knowledge triangle: "building the bridges"
- Cooperation between a company, a research centre and a university
- The master thesis is done in an InnoEnergy innovation project with the participation of different actors
The jury per category consists of:
- 1 Programme Director
- 1 representative from InnoEnergy Business Creation Services
- 1 Alumni
- 1 representative from InnoEnergy Education
- 1 representative from the sponsor company if aplicable
- Finalists (3 finalist per category)
- Solar charger
- Big prize (1 prize per category) (to be chosen by the winner)
- Business creation coaching
- Fee to a related conference
- 500€ per thesis award
CCIB - Centre de Convencions Internacional de Barcelona
Plaça de Willy Brandt, 11-14 Barcelona Spain