Mentoring Guide.pdf

File uploaded by Falko Döring Partner on 26-Nov-2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Mentoring Guide
A Guide for Mentors
Center for Health Leadership & Practice Public Health Institute Oakland, CA
November 2003

This mentoring Guide is based on materials originally developed by the Center for Health Leadership & Practice, Public Health Institute, for the State Health Directors Executive Mentoring and Consultation Program of the State Health Leadership Initiative (SHLI). The SHLI is administered by the National Governors Association with funding provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Table of Contents
What is Mentoring......................................................................................1
How Do I Become A Mentor?...................................................................1
Key Mentoring Skills...................................................................................3
Stages of Formal Mentoring Relationships...............................................6
Stage I: Building the Relationship.............................................................6
Stage II: Exchanging Information and Setting Goals.............................7
Stage III: Working Towards Goals/Deepening the Engagement..........8
Stage IV: Ending the Formal Mentoring Relationship and Planning for the Future............................................................................................9
Appendix I Mentoring Best Practices...........................................................................11
Appendix II Mentoring Goal Form.................................................................................12
Appendix III Selected Annotated Bibliography............................................................15

Attachments

Outcomes