Around the world, 1.2 billion people still have no access to electricity. Many more have only poor-quality supply. Off-grid renewable energy systems can play a key role in reversing this situation. Take this course to learn how off grid renewables can help achieve the UN’s goal of sustainable energy for everyone by 2030 and meet international commitments to lowering greenhouse gas emissions. You’ll study both the technical and economic features of off-grid systems, and how they can be successfully implemented to provide electricity for all.
The course is split into two MOOCs, 'To foster viable projects' (MOOC 1) and 'To advance the enabling conditions' (MOOC 2), which aim to give you:
- And understanding of the most recent trends in decentralised, renewable electricity around the world, as well as their primary benefits to suppliers and to consumers (MOOC 1)
- The ability to define appropriate conditions for off-grid renewable electricity projects in developing countries, especially at the bottom of the pyramid, and to apply project design principles in each case (MOOC 1).
- The ability to identify, describe and apply the right conditions for a viable and widespread deployment of off-grid renewable electricity in developing countries (MOOC 1 and 2).
On completing To foster viable projects MOOC, you will:
- Understand the latest trends and main characteristics of off-grid renewable electricity systems and their most suitable use cases.
- Be able to identify, measure and foster the benefits and social value of off-grid renewable electricity projects in developing countries – especially in the context of sustainable development.
- Have the necessary skills and tools to promote the technical, economic, socio-organisational, environmental and institutional sustainability of off-grid renewable electricity projects, and be able to solve related problems.
- Be able to define the principles of a smart energy framework and the role of various stakeholders, including demand side, supply side, and the enabling environment.
- Have developed a network of contacts and knowledge sources within and without the course environment.
At the end of To advance the enabling conditions MOOC, you will:
- Understand the various business models for mini-grids and stand-alone systems in developing countries.
- Appreciate and comprehend different types of funding mechanisms.
- Understand the roles, characteristics and instruments of policy and regulatory frameworks to enable a viable and widespread deployment of off-grid renewable electricity.
- Understand the principles and computer tools associated with energy planning in the context of decentralised electrification.
- Have reinforced your network of contacts and knowledge sources.
How will you learn?
The Off-Grid renewables Energy Course is delivered through a number of teaching and learning techniques, including
- 22 video lessons, with examples, case studies and animation.
- Supplementary materials from Open Education Resources for each video, for example: public reports, web sites of organisations involved in renewable off-grid energy, research articles, news items, and slideshows given by the course leaders.
- Debate forums, to give you an opportunity to participate and progress.
- Hangout sessions, to give you the opportunity to discuss the topic directly with our experts.
You will be able to assess your progress and understanding through a series of multiple-choice tests after each module.