To all those who signed up to the LEDsafari pre-event workshop on Friday ( 1pm at the Hotel) - Govinda Upadhyay (Founder & CEO of LEDsafari) has shared the following information to help you prepare for the workshop. If possible, be sure to bring some recycled material as explained and lets get creative!
Please research some DIY lamp designs on the internet (pinterest, youtube, various blogs) to decide what kind of lamp you would like to make prior to the workshop. Then consider:
- Elements of constructing the design
Below are a few examples to show you how to break down a lamp design to understand the elements that would be required to put them together:
(For explanation purposes, these are very basic, simple design types but please feel free to ideate a lamp/lighting design that is completely out of the box!)
- Study Lamp: sturdy base, bendable shaft, attached lamp head
- Table Lamp: sturdy base, solid shaft + attached lamp base + attachable lamp shade
- Torch: enclosed container + attached lamp head
- Hanging Lamp: lamp head/container that is lit + garden wire/chain
- Garden Lamp: sealable container + base shaft
- Theme of your lamp
- To create a lamp that is customized to your taste and interests, think about a theme that will guide the design.
- As per the experience, all sorts of themes are seen in various workshops - modern, jungle, floral, classic, handicraft, automotive, superheroes, character-inspired, pop culture etc.
- Material you can collect to make these structures
- Once you have decided the design and theme, have a look around at home/outdoors for recyclable containers, toys and items that you will bring to the workshop to make the various elements
- It is best to use materials that are sturdy and non-conductors of electricity and heat so that you do not have to spend too much time insulating the system
- Some examples: plastic boxes of various shapes, pipes, bottles, glass jars with plastic lids, wooden sticks/bases, thick paper/fabric and other material and artwork/small items to decorate with.
Components + Dimensions
Here are a few component specifications to keep in mind when designing your lamp (think about which element each component should be placed in):
- Battery: 2.5 x 3.5 cm - the design should protect it from direct sun rays and allow for ventilation
- Solar PV: 8.5 x 5 cm - the design should place it in a position to allow maximum sunlight exposure (e.g. placing it on the bottom or side will limit this), the panel is waterproof
- Switch: 1.2 x 0.8 cm - the design should incorporate a slot of this size at an easily accessible area
- LED: 0.3 cm slit - the design should incorporate this slit in the structure that will hold the LED bulb in place
- electric wire - the design should ideally hide all wiring on the inside and not have any loose wires hanging to give it a clean and sophisticated look (consider this when thinking about elements and material too)
Finally, it always helps to draw your lamp concept on paper to visualise your design!
These are just some points to give you a head start - we will provide you with further instructions to assemble the circuit and will be there throughout the workshop to help you actualise your wonderful designs!!
Founder & CEO, LEDsafari