The course forms part of the Specialization on “Off-grid renewable energy systems. Towards affordable, reliable and sustainable electricity for all”.
In this second course, you will discover the critical business, financial, policy and planning conditions to boost the deployment of off-grid renewable system in the poorest countries and remotest communities.
More specifically, you will learn about:
- Market-based models for off-grid electricity.
- The financial dimensions of off-grid electricity initiatives.
- Policy and regulatory frameworks.
- Energy planning: from demand to supply.
Define and apply relevant conditions to enable a viable and widespread deployment of off-grid renewable electricity access in developing countries. These conditions include: innovative business and regulatory frameworks, social value of technology, financing, energy planning.
Intended Learning Outcomes
On completing this course, you will:
- Know about different business models applied to mini-grids and standalone systems in developing countries.
- Be familiar with different types of funding mechanisms.
- Understand the roles and instruments of an appropriate policy and regulatory frameworks to scale-up off-grid renewable electricity systems.
- Know how to apply the principles and tools associated with energy planning in the context of decentralized electrification.
- Have reinforced your network of contacts and knowledge sources within and outside the course environment.
Methodology and assessment
The learning methodology builds upon:
- 21 video lessons, with theory, case studies and animation.
- Supplementary material for each lesson, including reports, articles, websites.
- Debates in the forum, to exchange ideas with the other learners.
- Hangout sessions, a good opportunity to discuss directly with the experts.
The assessment consists in self-evaluation (quizzes).
The course is for professionals who are looking for innovative and proven solutions for enabling universal access to sustainable energy.
You are a practitioner or researcher of the renewable or energy sectors, you work for a non-governmental organization in the development or energy fields, you are an entrepreneur or work for a company committed to socially responsible business in developing countries, you work for a cooperation agency and want to identify prospects of off-grid solutions, you are a student at the end of your undergraduate studies, this course is for you!
- A working level in English (writing, reading, listening) is required.
- Preferably having completed the first course “How to foster projects”.
- No technical or engineering background is required. A minimal knowledge of the energy sector or of developing countries is a plus.
- Undergraduate studies (on-going or finished) in engineering, economics, business or social sciences are recommended but not required.
Certificate of attendance issued by InnoEnergy and EOI Foundation (Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness) (1 per course).
Our partners are EOI, that is offering high-level masters and executive programmes in the field of renewable energies, environmental management and sustainable development, and Rooter, that has proven experience producing MOOCs.
The instructors’ team gathers academic experts, representatives of international institutions, practitioners, leaders of for-profit and non-profit organizations, with a multidisciplinary and complementary expertise in the field.